Thunderstorms may seem minor since they are common but they produce lightning and heavy rain which may be dangerous. Even though there are not ways to prevent them, there measures to take before one arrives to minimize damage to your property or self:
- Build an emergency kit and make a family communications plan. (In case of outages)
- Remove dead or rotting trees and branches that could fall and cause injury or damage during a severe thunderstorm.
- Postpone outdoor activities.
- Secure outdoor objects that could blow away or cause damage.
- Get inside a home, building, or hard top automobile. You are much safer inside a vehicle than outside.(the steel frame of a hard-topped vehicle provides increased protection if you are not touching metal.)
- Shutter windows and secure outside doors. If shutters are not available, close window blinds, shades or curtains.
- Unplug any electronic equipment well before the storm arrives.