9 Hurricane Prep Tips for Your Home’s Exterior
As Florida homeowners, business owners, and residents find themselves right in the middle of hurricane season, it is absolutely critical to establish a plan of action for protecting their properties. South Florida is no stranger to nasty hurricane seasons, but with false alarms and constantly-changing hurricane paths, it can get easy to fall into the trap of failing to prepare properly. A lot of people think that buying extra water and canned goods is enough to get themselves and their families ready, but doing just that puts your home in a very risky position. Focusing on preparing your home’s exterior during hurricane season is extremely important for all Floridians.
This hurricane season, keep the following tips in minds as you prepare to safeguard and protect your home’s exterior:
- Install shutters on all windows and doors throughout your home
- Consider replacing your windows with impact-resistant glass
- Be mindful of your garage door and potentially brace your door to withstand hurricane-force winds
- Purchase a standby generator to power your home (or a few important areas of your home) in the event that your power grid goes down
- Spruce up your landscaping in order to remove any and all possible debris
- Inspect your home’s downspouts and gutters to make sure there are no blockages which would prevent water from flowing freely
- Remove any and all lawn furniture, any type of planters, and grills that may blow in the wind
- Secure any outdoor items that cannot be moved inside
- Move your vehicles into the garage or close to the home to prevent damage via fallen trees
No matter how many hurricanes you have gone through as a South Florida resident, it is important to remain vigilant every single hurricane season. Far too many Floridians take for granted being lucky and thus feel immune to hurricane damage. When it comes to Florida hurricanes, it is always better to be prepared than to be sorry. Contact SERVPRO today if your home has suffered any storm damage and our team of restoration professionals will be right there to help!