What Happens During Mold Remediation?
Many people worry about black mold, but any mold inside of a building is bad news. Molds feed on organic building material, such as cellulose in wood and paper, and during the digestive process, some molds make odorous byproducts known as mycotoxins. Here are the basic steps for remediation so you know what to expect for your facility in Hollywood Lakes, FL.
Basic Steps for Mold Remediation
1. Stop the source. When you find black mold or any other mold, stop the source of the moisture and call immediately to schedule remediation work. A professional restoration company will be available for your emergency any time of day or night.
2. Inspect. Professionals may use detection equipment to help find mold or water damage that can't be seen with the naked eye. This ensures thorough cleaning to reduce the spread of the infestation.
3. Prevent the spread of spores. Personal safety and prevention of additional contamination are key priorities for remediation specialists. Prepare for all ventilation and HVAC systems to be off during cleanup. Negative air pressure and barriers may be used to create a containment area that reduces the spread of spores during mold cleanup. HEPA vacuums and air scrubbers are also used to contain spores during the process.
4. Removal of contaminated materials and mold remediation. When black mold digests organic food sources, those materials are destroyed. Specialists are able to assess which materials can be cleaned with biocides and fungicides, and which must be replaced.
5. Cleaning of personal items. There are many different ways to clean items depending on the type of materials involved. Some paper documents are critical to your business, and there are several processes that can be used specifically for document drying. Specialists will determine if your documents can be restored and which method is best.
6. Restoration of Structure. Repairs, such as replacing some drywall and painting, or full replacements of structural material will be completed.
When it comes to running a business, downtime during a major cleanup process costs you additional money in lost work. Counting on professionals for mold remediation can get you back to work faster.